Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
 Home | Forums | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
Username:

Password:

Jaymann620

Hollasaures-Rex

Reg: Jan 21 2012

ID: 26225

RP: 0
Rep: 166

Resident Evil
The Black Dahlia Murder, Fall Out Boy, Mushroomhead, Hopsin
Xbox360

Default  So, how aboot that Final Fantasy 13?
03.17.12, 22:01:53
  Post #1

So I just bought 13, and was able to play it for 2 1/2 hours before I leave for work. It's alright; I don't like how linear the game is. It feels pretty different, and the combat feels pretty stale. Anyone else feel this way?

I didn't see a thread for it, so I made my own. If you don't like it, you can suck it.

"Your [Christian] preachments are evil and they're a direct threat to the survival of civilization. So, if you don't consider me an enemy, then you don't know an enemy when you see or hear one."
-Christopher Hitchens
View Jaymann620s Profile! Find more posts by Jaymann620! Visit Jaymann620s Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Dickweed

Odium Absent

Reg: Mar 13 2007

ID: 9329

Rep: 76

Neir, GTA IV,
Hrdvsion, Akira Yamaoka
Silent Hill, Castle in the Sky
Malazan: Book of the Fallen
PS3

Default  03.17.12, 22:49:23
  Post #2

I thought it was a pretty far drop in quality from other FF's, but I managed through it and had fun along the way. I didn't like how the tutorial shit goes through chapter 10 (out of something like 14 chapters, I believe). The second to last area opens up to a (very) large freeroam area. But it's like a field and caves, there's no towns you can run to and from, villages, interesting places, etc.

Plus the only thing moogle in this game was the name Moogle on a shop. Cid was a barely mentioned idiot. Chocobos had a decent role, but I would still have liked them to be around a bit more. Snow is an idiot. Hope was kinda cool. Lightning was a cloud remake. Everyone else was lame.

I'll still buy it and probably play through it one more time just to say I've played it and know my opinion of it for sure, and also to keep my FF collection as complete as I can.
View Dickweeds Profile! Find more posts by Dickweed!   Reply With Quote
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Reg: Jun 27 2008

ID: 14539

Rep: 5

Ico
Utada Hikaru
Jay Chou's The Secret That Cannot Be Told
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  03.18.12, 02:32:47
  Post #3

The majority of complaints aimed at XIII are almost all based on how the game is not similar to other titles in the franchise. This is sad, because this does the game a great injustice. Assuredly the game was quite linear, and it did at times distract from overall game play. Also the battle / level system was well opposite those of previous games, as it was extremely simple and easy to use, and (admittedly) uninteresting in and of itself.

This linearity and simplicity were meant to make the game smoother, as previous game systems (junctioning in VIII ) were really cumbersome and difficult either to initially use or ultimately understand. Unfortunately it backfired, as they took it to far and basically made it so easy as to be boring. The game is not challenging, nor is there a lot of questing to be done, so anyone who loves Final Fantasy for those traits...will be sorta disappointed.

My main beef about the game, even though I really like it and its one of my favourite games in the franchise, is the voice acting. It's good, but it still can get to the point of silliness. I just wish it had an option to use the original Japanese.

"To err is human, to forgive is interplanetary."
-Lights
View Alexeis Profile! Find more posts by Alexei! Visit Alexeis Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Dickweed

Odium Absent

Neir, GTA IV,
Hrdvsion, Akira Yamaoka
PS3

Default  03.18.12, 04:02:59
  Post #4

That's obsurd that they would nto expect backfiring and hatred from people who are used to the old systems. I understand a little change is nice from time to time. The first games included real time battle systems, but fixed positions. Later games varied in that, some games were real time, others were turn by turn, and games like 12 were both real time and free roam, which was a somewhat major change that took, and is still taking, a lot of people to get used to. But to just change out the game entirely to something like that and slap the Final Fantasy title on it is just idiocy. Majority of the games included to some degree particular themes, such as Chocobos, Moogles, Cid, and so on. Each game had it's special variation.

13 made me think they kept with that by including these things so that the older FF fans who've played most of the others could be satisfied, but at such a minimal level it was like a spit in the face. Free roam to linearity was a major change. Too major to be acceptable. Major changes like that just open the flood gates.

The changes through each Final Fantasy and then FF13 is like having different variations of spaghetti, and then having a plate of ramen and calling it spaghetti. From quality deliciousness to cheap crap. Something to produce easier with less cost and more profit. That's all this industry is going at these days. Quantity over quality.
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Ico
Utada Hikaru
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  03.18.12, 04:27:33
  Post #5

The system is not really different from every previous game, its just an extremely stream-lined and easy to use version. And that's the problem, its too easy. It lacks challenge or player guided level development. Both of this are pretty large issues, and both of these, including linearity, have been addressed in XIII-2.

One of the main ideas with XIII, and indeed Versus XIII (if it is released in our lifetime ) is to try something new with the franchise. Unfortunately the old, the traditional or classic, whatever term you wish to use for it, is holding it back. Final Fantasy VII changed the playing field, with VIII bringing realistic models to the franchise. IX was sort of a mixed deal, with Sakaguchi wishing to due another classic pre-VII title as well as wanting to please the fans of the classic games. This he did successfully.

The issue that Square-Enix faces with the Final Fantasy series is the hatred that they catch from traditionalists. A nod of homage to things such as Chocobos and Cid are acceptable, but it is by no means a necessary element to the franchise. Its like people hating the Lord of the Rings movies because Tom Bombadil wasn't in them.
View Alexeis Profile! Find more posts by Alexei! Visit Alexeis Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Dickweed

Odium Absent

Neir, GTA IV,
Hrdvsion, Akira Yamaoka
PS3

Default  03.18.12, 04:34:16
  Post #6

My problem with the themes like Chocobos, Cid, etc. are that they were short lived simplistic renditions. I would have been happier were they not in the game at all compared to the "homage" they were given in 13. Go the way of X. Not a single moogle or mention of a moogle in that game. X-2 had a moogle suit, which I'm sure took the developers time to create and incorporate into the story. In 13? Moogle is written on the name of a shop that probably took 2 seconds to type into the name.
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Ico
Utada Hikaru
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  03.18.12, 05:08:03
  Post #7

I hear you. If they intend to have them they should include them properly, whether that be in standard game play or as a bonus, or just leave them out entirely. Giving them a half-hearted homage doesn't do them justice.
  Ethereal

Luscious

Reg: Apr 04 2002

ID: 448

Rep: 20

The World Ends With You
The Naked and Famous
The Lion King
The Colour of Magic
PC, Nintendo DS

Default  03.19.12, 15:42:08
  Post #8

40 hours of pseudo-on rails corridors followed by 20 hours of Calm Lands 2.0 and increasing badly scaling encounters that took way too long topped off by a final segment that seemed way undertuned = FFXIII

It was too simplistic - and that trickled right the way down to the character development storywise too.

Had it not had a precedent to live up too with the FF name on the box it might not have let down so many people. But as a FF game they stripped out far too many of the "core" elements.

Thankfully that was something XIII-2 rectified.

Ethereal
Former Site Manager and Forum Administrator of Final Fantasy Republic 2002-2005
View Ethereals Profile! Find more posts by Ethereal!   Reply With Quote
  Dickweed

Odium Absent

Neir, GTA IV,
Hrdvsion, Akira Yamaoka
PS3

Default  03.19.12, 19:32:34
  Post #9

I like how jayman Jesse hasn't replied to his thread.
  Jaymann620

Hollasaures-Rex

Reg: Jan 21 2012

ID: 26225

Rep: 166

Resident Evil
The Black Dahlia Murder, Fall Out Boy, Mushroomhead, Hopsin
Xbox360

Default  03.20.12, 16:58:00
  Post #10

Alright, after being able to play the game a little bit more (roughly 6 1/2-7 hours in) I gotta say, the game is pretty boring. The characters seem so bland and the combat is very stale and repetitive. I'm not really enjoying the game and I find myself playing it, only so I can beat it and get rid of it. Same thing happened with L.A. Noire.
View Jaymann620s Profile! Find more posts by Jaymann620! Visit Jaymann620s Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Jast3r Rogu3

Hot!

Reg: Apr 29 2007

ID: 9581

Rep: 0

Final Fantasy XII.
DJ Tatana
SpiderMan
None
Sony PS3.

Default  04.03.12, 21:35:46
  Post #11

I thought it was alright. At first I did not like the game, but the more I played it, the better I liked it. Right now I am playing FFXIII-2, I hope I will be able to put many hours just like I did with FFXIII.
View Jast3r Rogu3s Profile! Find more posts by Jast3r Rogu3! Visit Jast3r Rogu3s Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Masamune

Reg: Jul 05 2012

ID: 26408

Rep: 0

Vandal Hearts, Final Fantasy, Suikoden
Dinka, Roald Velden, Mossy
Tombstone, Blade Runner, Gladiator
The Painted Man
Dreamcast 2

Default  07.05.12, 13:39:13
  Post #12

I could kinda see what FFXIII was going for with the Auto-battle system but it was fatally flawed on so many levels. The rest of the game feels too much like a rail-RPG, with no sense of exploration, no NPC interaction, and no civilization to explore. I mean, these are the basics you'd expect of any RPG and they couldn't even get them right. They should have just made it into a movie... not that their track record is much better there.

Beyond Final Fantasy - An unofficial FF & RPG community.
View Masamunes Profile! Find more posts by Masamune! Visit Masamunes Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  MeLiNa

Veteran

Reg: Nov 09 2007

ID: 11719

Rep: 54

Default  07.06.12, 20:39:07
  Post #13

yeah the exact reason i stoped playing it -_- the battle system is so odd and new hard to keep up with it
View MeLiNas Profile! Find more posts by MeLiNa!   Reply With Quote
  Keveh Kins

Semi Active Idiot

Reg: Aug 10 2008

ID: 15098

Rep: -1

Super Castlevania 4
Nirvana
Pulp Fiction
Dracula
Sega Megadrive

Default  08.07.12, 16:50:29
  Post #14

To be honest I didn't find the new battle system all that different to the old one. At it's core it was still a select from menu, watch what happens traditional Final Fantasy battle system, which is grand, but even the minute amount of interaction it took to open the Magic section of the battle Menu and select your spell has been eliminated by the Auto-battle thingy. It felt like very slow button-mashing and it took alot of fun out of it for me, it's probably another effort at the stream-lining of the game that Alexei mentioned, but it was dull.

I found the characters somewhat bland too, Snow gave speeches about heroism and mentioned Serah at the drop of a hat, Lightning used sarcasm alot, Sazh used more experienced sarcasm alot, the character development just felt very minor compared to other FF games.

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on.
View Keveh Kinss Profile! Find more posts by Keveh Kins! Visit Keveh Kinss Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Auronfan

The Quiet Warrior

Reg: Jul 04 2007

ID: 10159

Rep: 27

FFX, Legend of Dragoon,Golden Sun 1&2, Lost Odyssey,
Nobuo Uematsu, Metallica, Dragonforce, Iron Maiden, and more.
FFVII Advent Children & Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Chibi Vampire, Chobits, Black Cat
PS2,DS,GBA,XBox 360,Wii

Default  08.15.12, 23:12:48
  Post #15

I refuse to play a game that I have heard that after the first 20 hours it gets good, either make a game that instantly sucks you in either though a well thought out story plot or very well designed game play or that it builds up over time with the story and game play, but that should done in the first 3-5 hours of the game. If you can't do that your not doing something right.

I wanted to change the world too. But in the end I changed nothing ~Auron
View Auronfans Profile! Find more posts by Auronfan!   Reply With Quote