Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
 Home | Forums | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read

Go Back  

Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
Username:

Password:

G13

Reg: Jan 11 2012

ID: 26216

RP: 0
Rep: 10

None
None
None
None
None

Default  01.23.12, 01:19:47
  Post #21

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just didn't understand why someone would suggest something like that. New script, new battle system, new side quests, new music; if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well call it FF XV. As Emily just helpfully, albeit a little randomly, pointed out, an HD remake is quick and easy, but only so for VII because they already have the story, and the battle system (I'm mostly thinking of the materia system), the music, etc. They would definitely need to do some retconning to keep up with the changes made in the compilation, but change too much and you lose the essence of it.
View G13s Profile! Find more posts by G13!   Reply With Quote
  Dickweed

Odium Absent

Reg: Mar 13 2007

ID: 9329

Rep: 76

Neir, GTA IV,
Hrdvsion, Akira Yamaoka
Silent Hill, Castle in the Sky
Malazan: Book of the Fallen
PS3

Default  01.23.12, 09:56:20
  Post #22

I tend to agree with the statement by my fellow gay man, here.

"A person who runs into a building and yells 'Conflagration' will not get anywhere near the reaction of someone who yells 'Fire.'"
View Dickweeds Profile! Find more posts by Dickweed!   Reply With Quote
  Chocorawrr

Puking Chocobo

Reg: Dec 28 2008

ID: 17842

Rep: 56

Final Fantasy X, Skyrim, Gears of War[s], Bioshock, Fatal Frame
Right Away, Great Captain!
Titanic. OMG I'M SUCH A GIRL OMG.
Ps3, all day errrday.

Default  01.23.12, 10:34:51
  Post #23

I AGREE, ERIC. YOU SEXY PUMPKIN.

Quote:
Quoth Dickweed: View Post
Oh, I'd go into XIII just to kick Snow in the groin and shove Lightning into her sisters vagina.
View Chocorawrrs Profile! Find more posts by Chocorawrr!   Reply With Quote
  Serial Killer

Conglomeration of Death

Reg: Oct 08 2002

ID: 2425

Rep: 1412

FFIII, Madden, Dragon Warrior/Quest
Dead Kennedys, NoFX, Eminem, G.G. Allin
American History X, Snatch, Remember the Titans
Dragonlance, Forgotton Realms, anything by James Patterson
Super Nintendo!

Default  01.23.12, 13:38:59
  Post #24

I think an HD remake (along with improved graphics, etc), although it'd be nice, would take away from the nostalgia value of a FFVII. I remember when they started "remaking" the SNES FF titles, I was against it then.. but then they virtually left the game alone and more or less re-released it on the PS. As much as I love the FF franchise and their games, I don't play old titles over because they were that good as much due to wanting to be reminded of a simpler time.

Serial Killer
|Der Fuhrer von FFR|Administrator

Quote:
Quoth Jaymann620:
Well, if I had to choose between a Mexican brain surgeon, and a gay massage therapist... I'd choose the gay guy. I'm Mexican, I know how shitty the medical standards are in Mexico.
Send a message via AIM to Serial Killer Send a message via MSN to Serial Killer   Serial Killer is offline
View Serial Killers Profile! Find more posts by Serial Killer! Visit Serial Killers Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  V

Sic Transit Gloria Forum

Reg: Feb 20 2004

ID: 6624

RP: 666
Rep: 465

FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Marathon trilogy, NetHack, Super Metroid
mostly prog, metal, and avant-garde. See last.fm for details
Dr. Strangelove, Pan's Labyrinth, Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Pynchon/Bolaņo/Borges/Vonnegut /Martin/Pratchett/Zinn/Chomsky
SNES

Default  01.23.12, 13:44:01
  Post #25

FFVII is a really good game. Not a great game - it has too many flaws - but it's not a bad game or even just a good game either. It's not the best game in the series nor is it the greatest game ever made, but at least before the compilation it was getting about the amount of attention it deserved.

But yeah, I still don't really get the point of a remake either. I guess the main point would be to fix all the flaws of the original, but Square Enix aren't competent enough to do that anymore.

Quote:
Quoth George Carlin:
So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family.
Quote:
Quoth Adam Smith:
All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.

FG * FF * last.fm
View Vs Profile! Find more posts by V!   Reply With Quote
  G13

Reg: Jan 11 2012

ID: 26216

None
None
None
None
None

Default  01.24.12, 00:15:32
  Post #26

Quote:
Quoth Ⓐaron: View Post
FFVII is a really good game.
After the horrible things we said to one another during the Gang Wars of '11, I never thought I'd see you say something like that. You've brought a tear to my eye, sir.

Quote:
Quoth Serial Killer: View Post
I think an HD remake (along with improved graphics, etc), although it'd be nice, would take away from the nostalgia value of a FFVII. I remember when they started "remaking" the SNES FF titles, I was against it then.. but then they virtually left the game alone and more or less re-released it on the PS. As much as I love the FF franchise and their games, I don't play old titles over because they were that good as much due to wanting to be reminded of a simpler time.
Agreed. I love dusting off the old PSX every once in a while and deciding which PS1 era RPG I'm going to ruin.
View G13s Profile! Find more posts by G13!   Reply With Quote
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Reg: Jun 27 2008

ID: 14539

Rep: 5

Ico
Utada Hikaru
Jay Chou's The Secret That Cannot Be Told
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  01.24.12, 01:21:09
  Post #27

Another thread hijacked and turned into a FF VII remake discussion lol

Seriously though, Square-Enix doesn't deserve the bad rep its getting these days for XIII. As for XIV, I have no idea, I don't play the online ones. But people go on rants about how terrible XIII was, but I see it as the best none compilation Final Fantasy since X. Although it wasn't the golden masterpiece I thought it was going to be.

"To err is human, to forgive is interplanetary."
-Lights
View Alexeis Profile! Find more posts by Alexei! Visit Alexeis Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Citan

Sanctuary Keeper

Reg: May 12 2002

ID: 812

RP: 150
Rep: 88

Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV & V, Perfect Dark
M
Back to the future trilogy, The Shining, Forrest Gump
The Three Musketeers
SNES

Default  01.24.12, 13:34:59
  Post #28

Quote:
Quoth G13: View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just didn't understand why someone would suggest something like that. New script, new battle system, new side quests, new music; if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well call it FF XV. As Emily just helpfully, albeit a little randomly, pointed out, an HD remake is quick and easy, but only so for VII because they already have the story, and the battle system (I'm mostly thinking of the materia system), the music, etc. They would definitely need to do some retconning to keep up with the changes made in the compilation, but change too much and you lose the essence of it.
I didn't mean an entirely different story. I meant give the familiar story a fresh look, by making the plot more cohesive than the original. Like they did with FFIV for the DS; they rewrote the script and dialogue and expanded it by adding new flashbacks and character development. It turned out to be what many called the best version of FFIV to this date.

You don't need to do much change to the script. Just make it less confusing, and improve the dialogue.

I fail to see where you read that I wanted new music. I said upgrading the original soundtrack by giving it a more orchestral feel. The compositions themselves are great, but the MIDIsh sound is very dated.

As far as the battle system goes, the materia system can stay, but they could introduce a new twist to the ATb formula.

View Citans Profile! Find more posts by Citan!   Reply With Quote
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Ico
Utada Hikaru
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  01.24.12, 14:27:21
  Post #29

Reasons why a Final Fantasy VII Remake would be cool

Final Fantasy VII/XIII System (using ACC) - YouTube

Crisis Core - Secret Ending - Final Fantasy VII - YouTube

Plus it would bring in a lot of dough for Square-Enix, which is cool from their perspective.
View Alexeis Profile! Find more posts by Alexei! Visit Alexeis Homepage!   Reply With Quote
  Unicycles

Reg: Jan 19 2012

ID: 26224

Rep: 0

None
None
None
None
None

Default  01.26.12, 06:55:06
  Post #30

I could see a reboot happening MAYBE, but I'm just not sold on the idea of a VII remake. I only played it recently but just loved everything exactly how it was, I was actually shocked to see how different the modern version of Cloud was to his original. The way he talks, the way he holds himself, and the sort of things he says in Dissidia/Crisis Core just feel so weak...He was unsure throughout VII, and very apprehensive, but definitely had a lot of inner strength.

I don't know, I don't feel that modern portrayals of him are totally accurate to the original, and I'm frightened that a remake would push this new Cloud onto a whole new crowd. And hey, it's just not the sort of game I can see getting remade anyway. If they redid all the lovely backdrops and kept the movement the same then people would complain since it would feel/look odd to keep that with how far modern RPGs have come. And if they ditched the backdrops and went for full 3D then even more people would complain that it's too different from the original.

It's a classic and great as is, imo
View Unicycless Profile! Find more posts by Unicycles!   Reply With Quote
  FFLOVER13

FFLOVER

Reg: Jan 29 2012

ID: 26231

FF8
HEAT
FF
PS3

Default  02.01.12, 17:28:24
  Post #31

hi i buy the game yesterday because its my birth day 1/2/1971 ok. great game+awosome music+fantastic cgi. i love it. i will fight witj atlas.the second capsule is near the gate after you step dawn or up the big stairs.the furst one is easy.in the town talk with the girl near the beach to ask you to find her medical kit you first find a chocobo ride it. the kit is near the red mark in the map. any other q i will be her or any body can contact me on my msn. bay.
View FFLOVER13s Profile! Find more posts by FFLOVER13!   Reply With Quote
  Ethereal

Luscious

Reg: Apr 04 2002

ID: 448

Rep: 20

The World Ends With You
The Naked and Famous
The Lion King
The Colour of Magic
PC, Nintendo DS

Default  02.14.12, 12:25:26
  Post #32

I think they're too scared to do a remake of FFVII frankly. If they fluff it up the uproar against them would be horrific. If they ever did decide to do it I'd at least hope they'd try and mend bridges with Sakaguchi and the others who've since left to make sure the project stays on the rails and doesn't turn into a remake that gets destroyed due to someone with an ego "creative vision." They know that the consumer base would accept, and expect, nothing short of perfection. This is more than likely why they've decided to expand upon the earlier instalments on the DS/3DS and upscale X to HD - far less potentially volatile.

As for XIII-2, played the demo on XBLA, looked more of the same. People at work assure me that the demo picked the worst possible point imaginable content wise and that it's actually a big improvement over XIII. But well XIII was a massive let down so I won't touch XIII-2 until it find it's way into a pre-owned section or is on sale at a reduced price.

Ethereal
Former Site Manager and Forum Administrator of Final Fantasy Republic 2002-2005
View Ethereals Profile! Find more posts by Ethereal!   Reply With Quote
  Alexei

Twilight Warlord

Ico
Utada Hikaru
The Bible
PC, PS3, N64

Default  02.16.12, 02:37:05
  Post #33

I've played XIII-2 a little since I got it (a very little mind you, mostly because I don't have that much time to really just sit down and play anything these days) and it seems a little nonsensical and random, though it is good fun. As a matter of fact it is the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time.

I still hold the belief that XIII's voice acting has, just like Kingdom Hearts really, been a let down. In Japanese they can spew sentences that would be absolutely laughable if they were said in English, yet you can take them seriously. It's kind of the Fragile Dreams syndrome, that game seems rather silly in English but is quite awesome in Japanese.

Gotta say, I'm still a fan of the original XIII.
  Citan

Sanctuary Keeper

Reg: May 12 2002

ID: 812

RP: 150
Rep: 88

Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV & V, Perfect Dark
M
Back to the future trilogy, The Shining, Forrest Gump
The Three Musketeers
SNES

Default  02.18.12, 17:10:18
  Post #34

It can't possibly be worse than X-2 was (don't get me wrong, I enjoyed X-2 for its gameplay, but the story was just laughable).
View Citans Profile! Find more posts by Citan!   Reply With Quote