Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
 Home | Forums | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read

Go Back  

Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
Username:

Password:

PsychicFatman

Reg: May 27 2010

ID: 25682

RP: 0
Rep: 0

None
None
None
None
None

Default  Which FF1 Character Classes for a First Timer?
05.27.10, 14:05:43
  Post #1

So, the only Final Fantasy game I've ever played is FFX. I absolutely loved it. But I had to sell my PS2 when I needed extra cash for getting a 360.

Three years later, here I am, dying to play Final Fantasy, and wishing I had a PS3 so I can play them all. I am in fact in the process of buying one, and will hopefully be going through each and every FF. But for now, I have FF1 on the Wii.

So my question is: What character classes do you guys recommend me using for my first time? I don't know what would be a good combination. Thank you!
View PsychicFatmans Profile! Find more posts by PsychicFatman!   Reply With Quote
  Citan

Sanctuary Keeper

Reg: May 12 2002

ID: 812

RP: 150
Rep: 88

Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV & V, Perfect Dark
M
Back to the future trilogy, The Shining, Forrest Gump
The Three Musketeers
SNES

Default  06.22.10, 08:18:43
  Post #2

I say Fighter, Monk, White Mage and Black Mage.

Thief is useles, so don't bother with him. Red Mage becomes somewhat obsolete during the second half of he game.

You can't go wrong with Monk. Once he gets to a high level (it was lv 28 out of 50 in the original NES version, not sure about GBA/PSP versions), remove his weapon. He'll start kicking butt with his bare fists. I remember defeating Warmech and Chaos easily, thanks to the ass-kicking Monk.

View Citans Profile! Find more posts by Citan!   Reply With Quote
  V

Sic Transit Gloria Forum

Reg: Feb 20 2004

ID: 6624

RP: 666
Rep: 465

FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Marathon trilogy, NetHack, Super Metroid
mostly prog, metal, and avant-garde. See last.fm for details
Dr. Strangelove, Pan's Labyrinth, Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Pynchon/Bolaņo/Borges/Vonnegut /Martin/Pratchett/Zinn/Chomsky
SNES

Default  08.04.10, 21:45:51
  Post #3

what a strange spambot

thanks if you're actually a real human though

Quote:
Quoth George Carlin:
So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family.
Quote:
Quoth Adam Smith:
All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.

FG * FF * last.fm
View Vs Profile! Find more posts by V!   Reply With Quote
  Oliver

Man in Charge

Reg: Dec 23 2002

ID: 6128

RP: 1338
Rep: 575

Big Bass World Championship
Kanye West
Punch-Drunk Love
Bear Attacks of the Century
Super Nintendo

Default  08.04.10, 22:02:14
  Post #4

Aaron, stop getting flattered by spambots. It's cute, but kind of sad.
Send a message via AIM to Oliver Send a message via MSN to Oliver   Oliver is offline
View Olivers Profile! Find more posts by Oliver!   Reply With Quote
  V

Sic Transit Gloria Forum

SNES

Default  08.04.10, 23:00:06
  Post #5

I rated the odds of him/her/it being a real human at about 0.001%. I just don't want to run even a minuscule risk of offending anyone.
  Oliver

Man in Charge

Kanye West
Punch-Drunk Love
Super Nintendo

Default  08.04.10, 23:39:43
  Post #6

Pussy. I'm goin to walk into Barnes and Noble, roll up to you, clamp my clampers three times and say:

"I found this store using Google. And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really excellent store. Great work, great site! You get a raise!

Sorry for wrongaisle."

I'll then go out to the parking lot and drink all the motor oil out of your car.
Send a message via AIM to Oliver Send a message via MSN to Oliver   Oliver is offline
  V

Sic Transit Gloria Forum

SNES

Default  08.05.10, 00:07:19
  Post #7

sounds like fun
  Oliver

Man in Charge

Kanye West
Punch-Drunk Love
Super Nintendo

Default  08.05.10, 00:32:10
  Post #8

We'd have a good time if I lived in your city.
  V

Sic Transit Gloria Forum

SNES

Default  08.05.10, 00:59:16
  Post #9

I don't doubt it
  Oliver

Man in Charge

Kanye West
Punch-Drunk Love
Super Nintendo

Default  08.05.10, 01:48:30
  Post #10

Dean

Thanks, guys.

Reg: Sep 30 2008

ID: 16407

Rep: 297

Default  08.05.10, 02:38:11
  Post #11

First one of the bottom row made me laugh.
View Deans Profile! Find more posts by Dean!   Reply With Quote
  Oliver

Man in Charge

Kanye West
Punch-Drunk Love
Super Nintendo

Default  08.05.10, 10:06:47
  Post #12

Second to the last on the bottom row is what convinced me to use it.
  LDanarkos

Reg: Jan 23 2012

ID: 26228

Rep: 0

None
None
None
None
None

Default  01.23.12, 17:58:48
  Post #13

I don't know how the different versions of FF1 differ on different consoles, so I can only speak from my experiences from playing the NES version.

Exploiting the experience beacon near Pravoka: In the NES version (I don't know about other versions), there's an area (called The Peninsula in the secrets section of this site) near the second town where you can encounter Zombie Bulls, Trolls, Bulls, and Frost Wolves; which are supposed to be mid-game enemies. Winning one of these battles gives you about 1000 experience and 1000 gold, enough to level up pretty much every time you win. It just so happens that Zombie Bulls, Trolls, and Frost Wolves are all weak against fire, and Zombie Bulls are weak against Harm. So any party with 1 or more Red / Black Mages can easily exploit this area. Using only a White Mage, you can get lucky and encounter a party of 4x Zombie Bulls and wipe them with a few Harm 2 spells, but that is very tedious compared to using Fire 2. So I would say that if you plan on exploiting this area, having at least one Red Mage or Black Mage in your party is mandatory, and will save a tremendous amount of time. Having at least two Black / Red Mages makes the process much easier, since the monsters will quickly kill your party, and you need to be able to kill them even faster.

Late game: The final dungeon is very long. Using magic on regular enemies is not an option, because your supply of magic is limited. You will need to use the attack command a lot. The more strong attackers (Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage) you have in your party, the more you will excel at this stage.

General party composition: Every party should have a Fighter as the first character, since it has the best armor, and the majority of attacks are focused on your first character. At least one Black Mage or Red Mage is virtually necessary, as I've mentioned earlier. Having some access to white magic, like a Red Mage or White Mage, is nice. A Red Mage is superior to a White Mage in nearly all areas. Having two healers is a bonus, since then if one party member dies, you're guaranteed to have a surviving party member that knows the Life spell. Having a second Fighter will make you much stronger in the early game (which is debatably not important, because of the experience beacon, which makes the early game easy), whereas having a Black Belt makes you stronger in the very late game. The game will be nearly over before the Black Belt starts pulling ahead, but since the final dungeon is more important to specifically gear your party towards, it's somewhat worth it. Thieves are awful, don't put a Thief in your party.

Overall strength of the classes:
Fighter - Has the best armor, the most hit points, and the best physical attack (up until the late game when the Black Belt pulls ahead). It is therefore the strongest class and the more you have in your party, the easier most battles will be.
Red Mage - Has a good physical attack, the second best armor, white magic, and black magic. It is the most expensive class to equip, since you are encouraged to buy it expensive weapons, expensive armor, and magic. In general, it is the second strongest class overall.
White Mage - The White Mage has a poor attack and poor armor. It is the best healer, and its level 8 spell Fade can be very offensively strong in late game boss battles. The White Mage is a weak class, and is fairly one-dimensional, but becomes somewhat more versatile in the very late game.
Black Mage - The Black Mage also has a poor attack and poor armor. It has the best offensive magic. Its best uses are grinding experience on the world map, exploiting the experience beacon, and casting Nuke in late boss battles. Unlike the White Mage, the Black Mage never stops being one-dimensional. It is a weak class.
Black Belt - The Black Belt is a mediocre attacker and doesn't have very good armor. Near the end of the game, its unequipped physical attack becomes the strongest of all. The Black Belt is a weak class for at least the first half of the game, and a strong class later in the game. It is extremely inexpensive to equip.
Thief - This class is horrible. If you're ever thinking of putting a Thief in your party, just put a Fighter or a Black Belt in there instead.

Some top parties:
Fighter / Fighter / Red Mage / White Mage: This party is very expensive, but thanks to exploitation of the experience beacon, you should have lots of money to spend. This party doesn't exploit the experience beacon as well as some, but it's otherwise powerful in all stages of the game. This is perhaps the best party if you want every stage of the game to be equally easy and want to beat the game quickly.
Fighter / Red Mage / Black Belt / White Mage: This party is weaker than the previous party at all stages of the game except the very end, when it begins to be superior. It is also less expensive to equip, so that's nice.
Fighter / Fighter / Black Belt / Red Mage: This party tends to have an easier time handling itself in battles, but then doesn't have as much white magic to heal itself between battles. Otherwise, it's a strong party at all stages of the game.
Fighter / Fighter / Red Mage / Red Mage: This party is expensive as hell to equip. Having two black magic users makes it far easier and less frustrating to exploit the experience beacon. Otherwise, it's quite powerful at all stages of the game and has good healing. One of the most powerful early game parties.
Fighter / Red Mage / Red Mage / Black Belt: This is kind of an amazing party. It abuses the experience beacon well, it's otherwise fairly strong in the early game, and it's quite strong in the late game (four strong attackers including a Black Belt).
Fighter / Fighter / White Mage / Black Mage: This is a good party, but the most classically overrated, IMO, since it's often rated as the best. Another expensive party. It's fairly strong in the early game, being weaker in regular battles and better in most boss battles (unless the boss has strong magic resistance). It is also mediocre in the late game regular battles, but a little stronger in certain late game boss battles. Since it has a Black Mage instead of a Red Mage, it can exploit the experience beacon a level sooner, which can shave a few minutes off of that portion of the game.
Fighter / Fighter / Fighter / Red Mage: Another expensive party. The third Fighter won't have end game armor (like Opal Armor) or weapons (like Excalibur) to equip, so there's no point in having it, rather than a Black Belt, IMO. It's fairly nice late game, since it has four strong attackers. It's quite strong in the early / mid game.
Fighter / Red Mage / Red Mage / Black Belt: This party is very well positioned to exploit the experience beacon, fairly good in the early game, strong in the late game.

A few other parties that are just slightly weaker:
Fighter / Fighter / Red Mage / Black Mage: This is one of the best positioned parties to exploit the experience beacon. It's a pretty good early game party. It's decent in the late game, with the Black Mage being a minor liability until the final boss battles when it can cut loose the Nukes.
Fighter / Black Belt / White Mage / Black Mage: There are a lot of extremes on this party. Three characters with poor armor. Only two strong late game attackers. Only really one strong early game attacker. But it does have the best tank, the best late game attacker, the best healer, and the best DPS in most boss battles. IMO it is one of the less good parties at fighting regular enemies in dungeons, and that's what's going to make it a struggle. This is one of the strongest parties for killing the final boss (but not necessarily for getting through the dungeon to reach him).
Fighter / Red Mage / Black Belt / Black Mage: This is very similar to the previous party, with the difference being that the Red Mage is better at exploiting the experience beacon, better at physical attacks, and better at absorbing attacks. It is also the more expensive class to equip (possibly with the exception of buying the White Mage's end game magic), and has less good white magic. Overall, probably a stronger party than the previous one.
Fighter / Black Belt / Black Belt / Red Mage: Very inexpensive to equip. This is a fairly weak party at most stages of the game. Once you reach the final dungeon, it becomes extremely powerful. You will have to endure some moderately challenging game play for quite a while before this party finally starts paying off.

Last edited by LDanarkos; 01.23.12 at 18:44:05..
View LDanarkoss Profile! Find more posts by LDanarkos!   Reply With Quote