Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
 Home | Forums | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read

Final Fantasy Republic Forums  
Username:

Password:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  Blitzballer

Cool As Ice

Reg: Jun 13 2002

ID: 1174

RP: 298
Rep: 161

Onimusha 2, PES, Devil May Cry
LOTR Trilogy
FHM...of course
PS3

Default  Used Games
04.09.08, 14:23:09
  Post #1 (permalink)

Ah Used Games- go into your local Game, GameStop or local computer game store and next to the New pristine condition releases you find the Used section of game or bargain bin games where people have traded in their games.

Apparently Trade in, used games etc are pretty big buisness in the Game Industry:

Eric Villain of research firm OTX made his remarks at the MI6 conference in San Francisco this week. From Game Daily’s account of Villain’s talk:

We spoke to 2,000 gamers from March 14th to 17th. Is it good or is it bad? For now, it’s actually a good thing. And actually fuels new game sales. Used games are only a fraction of the market.

Gamestop has a phenomenal share of market – again, not a big surprise. We felt really good that a conservative estimate [of the used game market] is about 1.3 billion dollars in 2007.

Every game has different [trade-in] curve… Sellers are guys. The buyers are more evenly split, fifty-fifty… What’s driving the retail market is people who are buying action-shooter games – RPGs as well… What we also expect is growth in the market for 2008. A lot more than a year ago. In the midst of an economic downturn, I expect more buyers.

According to Game Daily, OTX noted that used game sales create additional opportunities for in-game advertising, since multiple owners may use a single copy of a game. The practice also increases the value of some game brands.

Nearly two-thirds of gamers surveyed told OTX that they purchase both new and used games.

GamePolitics.com » Blog Archive » Used Game Trade is Good for Video Game Biz, Says Industry Watcher
-----------------------

Picked up any used games at bargain prices? Was it in good condition or couldnt get it to work after all the wear and tear it had been through? What used games have you bought and been pleasantly surprised by?

Quote:
Quoth Albel Nox:
Imho? it's emo, douche.So if you're going to call me emo do it right.not imao, ihmo, or imo, but EMO.
Send a message via AIM to Blitzballer Send a message via MSN to Blitzballer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzballer   Blitzballer is offline
View Blitzballers Profile! Find more posts by Blitzballer! Visit Blitzballers Homepage!  
  SpiKy

PeaceMaker

Reg: Mar 24 2008

ID: 13491

RP: 0
Rep: 0

Final Fantasy. Resident Evil. Zelda. Drakengard.
MF Doom/MadVillain.KRS-1.DITC. LONS. PUTS. Nobou Uematsu.
Final FantasyVII: Last Order. X . Dune. X-Files. The Grudge.
The Alchemist. The Art of War. Manual of The Light Warrior. LOTR
N64. Wii. DS. GBA. PsP. PsX. X360.

Default  04.17.08, 07:27:51
  Post #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Picked up any used games at bargain prices? Was it in good condition or couldnt get it to work after all the wear and tear it had been through? What used games have you bought and been pleasantly surprised by?
Had loads of good purchaces as pre-played as you can be more hard in negotiations hehe..
My 360 and Wii collection would be small if it wasnt for this so props to `used`.
Obviously there are issues in condition but myself as a collector got tons of extra covers and stuff for such occasions so ive saved loads of cash by just switching covers and such.
And since i buy loads of games each month i know most game retailers in town so im no worry of being hustled really
Like i found Legend of Zelda (OoT64) for just a few cents
Also a GBC in red and one in green (95% preserved) for a fair sum.

`In the darkness lies your fears` -Resident Evil 1 Remake

Last edited by SpiKy; 04.17.08 at 07:31:24..
View SpiKys Profile! Find more posts by SpiKy!  
  Obsidian Tides

Ebb & Flow

Reg: Oct 15 2002

ID: 2798

RP: 450
Rep: 205

Default  04.17.08, 10:04:24
  Post #3 (permalink)

i've never had any issues with a used game, but since most of the time they are sold at nearly full price, it's not much better than new. bit of a ripoff, really.

Send a message via AIM to Obsidian Tides Send a message via MSN to Obsidian Tides   Obsidian Tides is offline
View Obsidian Tidess Profile! Find more posts by Obsidian Tides!  
  warlock-billy

The Human Equation

Reg: Nov 16 2007

ID: 11778

Rep: 5

Metal!
Xbox 360, PS3,PC

Default  04.17.08, 10:14:04
  Post #4 (permalink)

used to get used games but those were for ps2. but with these new consoles you dont save that much unless you wait
View warlock-billys Profile! Find more posts by warlock-billy!  
  Dante's prime

Stand Alone

Reg: Apr 17 2008

ID: 14059

the Devil may cry series
None
American pie films and Advent children
hate reading it's so boring
None

Default  04.17.08, 10:31:45
  Post #5 (permalink)

i used to get used games for my Ps2 although buying games for it wasn't really that much of a problem for me as my parents bought them all. but now i have a PS3 the used games are around the same prices as the new games so there is really no point in buying them you have to wait ages for the prices to be lowered

View Dante's primes Profile! Find more posts by Dante's prime!  
  SpiKy

PeaceMaker

Reg: Mar 24 2008

ID: 13491

Final Fantasy. Resident Evil. Zelda. Drakengard.
MF Doom/MadVillain.KRS-1.DITC. LONS. PUTS. Nobou Uematsu.
Final FantasyVII: Last Order. X . Dune. X-Files. The Grudge.
The Alchemist. The Art of War. Manual of The Light Warrior. LOTR
N64. Wii. DS. GBA. PsP. PsX. X360.

Default  04.17.08, 11:14:26
  Post #6 (permalink)

Yea it depends on how hype you are for specific titles but from my own experience, just on 360 i usually dont wait more than 2 months to buy preplayed titles since its almost cut by half in that timespan... not all titles though...
Collectors Editions i usually buy new since i want that freshness steaming out of it!
To machines like Ps2,Gamecube and such, titles are at low cost so its no wonder the PS2 part of my collection has gone over 100.
Still, GBA and DS its not really worth buying preplayed since its just beneath the initial prices except PSP, got some good titles cheap ive seen...
View SpiKys Profile! Find more posts by SpiKy!  
  Blitzballer

Cool As Ice

Reg: Jun 13 2002

ID: 1174

RP: 298
Rep: 161

Onimusha 2, PES, Devil May Cry
LOTR Trilogy
FHM...of course
PS3

Default  04.18.08, 00:12:45
  Post #7 (permalink)

Sometime ill look in the used game section of a title i never got around to playing, but ive never actually picked one up..xD

I dont know what it is- i suppose its the fact that someone has already played the disc that might put me off.
Send a message via AIM to Blitzballer Send a message via MSN to Blitzballer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzballer   Blitzballer is offline
View Blitzballers Profile! Find more posts by Blitzballer! Visit Blitzballers Homepage!  
Closed Thread